Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pancake Night!

This is my first post! In honor of pancake night at our house, I thought I'd post my absolute favorite pancake recipe! I got it from the TV show "The Chew." One of the viewers "won" with her Pumpkin Apple Pancake recipe, and I thought I'd try it, because I love pumpkin, apples, and pancakes!


MIA ROGERS' PUMPKIN APPLE PANCAKES

Ingredients:
1c flour
1 1/2t baking powder
1/2t cinnamon
1/4t nutmeg
1/8t ginger
1T butter, melted
1/2c pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/4c brown sugar
1/4t salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1c buttermilk*
1/3c peeled, diced apple (I usually use 1 apple)

Caramelized Apple Topping:
1 apple, thinly sliced
1T butter
2T brown sugar
(I usually double this recipe, because I love it so much! And really, who wants a scant amount of this apply goodness on their pancakes?!)

*If you don't have buttermilk, put 1T of lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup and fill with milk until it reaches 1c. Whisk it to combine, then let it sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes, until it's curdled. Mix it up and voila! You have your buttermilk substitute!

Directions:

In a medium bowl, toss in your flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. In a smaller bowl, place your egg, melted butter, diced apple, pumpkin puree, and buttermilk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and let stand for about 5 minutes. At this point, you can now make your caramelized apple topping!

In a large-ish skillet, melt your butter (here's where I'd use 2T...okay maybe 3 or 4T of butter!) over medium-ish heat. Add your brown sugar and apples and stir until the apples are nice and soft, and slightly golden (8ish minutes). Oh, I can smell them already!

(This is my husband, being an awesome assistant, caramelizing the apples. Don't you love the action shot?!)


To cook your pancakes, scoop up 1/3c of the batter and plop it onto your preheated griddle. Cook on one side until it's bubbly, then flip and cook another 1 1/2ish minutes. When they are done, top with your delicious caramelized apples, some warm maple syrup, and maybe...just maybe...some brown sugar!

(Here is an unnecessary photo of the pancakes almost finished cooking.)

(The plated goodness.)

The recipe says it serves 4 people, but I can easily eat 4 of these delicious suckers myself! Enjoy, and happy Autumn!

2 comments: